Saturday, June 12, 2010

Master Blogger on Personal Finance Blogging

Here are the submission guidelines for Get Rich Slowly. This is one of the top blogs on personal finance, #4 on Wisebread’s top 100.

These guidelines form an interesting essay on the art of writing on financial issues. He stresses original writing and thinking and having an original point of view. He stated he does not necessarily want new ideas but new slants on old ideas. A lot of this is great wisdom but I do not think this is for everybody.

The shelves in the local library and the ones in the local book stores fairly groan under the weight of business/personal finance/development literature. Even I am overwhelmed by them all – and I’m a CPA! When I read a book or a blog, while I do want good writing, when it comes to this area, I want the important information first. – And hopefully as succinctly as possible. How about you?

Frankly, too much writing gets in my way. As you can tell, I admire Rich Dad, Poor Dad series but how I wish Robert Kiyosaki was less creative! Just give me the info, dammit!

Also, different blogs have different focus’ than that one does. This one, for instance, covers selected master writers or doers together with my thoughts on them. Most entries are short. They are not meant to be a substitute for those books but an encouragement to read them. In addition, my focus is broader than just personal finance. On the one hand, this blog goes into business knowledge in the corporate environment; on the other it goes into personal development.

There is much to admire in this guide. I’d suggest that all finance writers ought to read it. But in the end, it is a guide not the 10 Commandments. We all have to follow our own muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment