Friday, March 26, 2010

Ben Franklin's Rules of Life



In July 1726 he was 20 years old. Sailing from London to a new job in Philadelphia, he wrote out for himself his “Plan for Future Conduct”. In this plan, he listed four basic rules he would live by. These are those rules.


1. It is necessary for me to be extremely frugal for some time, till I have paid what I owe.
2. To endeavor to speak truth in every instance; to give nobody expectations that are not likely to be answered, but aim at sincerity in every word and action – the most amiable excellence in a rational being.
3. To apply myself industriously to whatever business I take in hand, and not divert my mind from my business by any foolish project of suddenly growing rich; for industry and patience are the surest means of plenty.
4. I resolve to speak ill of no man whatever.

Franklin was one of the earliest self-help improvement authors in America.



Pictured: Benjamin Franklin at his regular day job, working in the printing office.

More information: Wikipedia, Franklin's Autobiography

No comments:

Post a Comment